Housing Resources for Tenants & Landlords, including Emergency Housing

Emergency Housing Services, Dakota County

Dakota County residents may call the Housing Crisis Line at 651-554-5751 if they need:

•    Emergency shelter

•    Assistance to prevent eviction

•    Information on community housing resources and referrals

There are three different agencies that answer calls from the Crisis Line

For families and single adults:  call the Dakota County Housing Crisis Line at 651-554-5751 and press 1 to be directed to Dakota County Intake.

For youth:  call the Dakota County Housing Crisis Line at 651-554-5751 and press 2. You will be directed to The Link.

For domestic violence or sexual assault victims: call the Dakota County Housing Crisis Line at 651-554-5751 and press 3. You will be directed to 360 Communities’ Lewis House, a shelter for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. 

How the Housing Crisis Line works

Step 1: Resolve the crisis

Intake staff will work with you to best resolve your housing crisis.

•   Prevent an eviction

•   Access emergency shelter

•   Explore alternative resources

 Step 2: Complete an assessment

If you are placed in an emergency shelter or are placed on a shelter waiting list, an assessment will be done completed to determine your ongoing needs. 

Step 3:  Connect to a housing opportunity

Once assessed, your name will be placed on a central Housing Waitlist. You will be matched to a housing resource that best meets your needs when one becomes available. 

More resources

Dakota County residents can also contact the Dakota County Community Development Agency at 651-675-4400. The Community Development Agency offers a variety of housing and rental assistance programs for eligible residents.

For People Inc. Street Outreach, a service to connect people living outside (in vehicles or camping) to connect with Housing Crisis services, please call 651-249-1195.

Per the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office:

The rights and duties of landlords and tenants in Minnesota are spelled out in federal law, states statutes, local ordinances, safety and housing codes, common law, contract law, and a number of court decisions. These responsibilities can vary from place to place around the state. Certain rights and duties apply to landlords and tenants everywhere in Minnesota. To obtain the guidebook to Landlords and Tenants Rights and Responsibilities, please contact:

Minnesota State Attorney General’s Office 


TTY: 651-297-7206


HOME Line provides free and low-cost legal, organizing, education, and advocacy services so that tenants throughout Minnesota can solve their own rental housing problems. 

For English:  612-728-5767

For Spanish: 612-255-8870

For Somali:  612-255-8860


The Minnesota Multi Housing Association (MHA)

MHA is a state-wide nonprofit trade organization. With nearly 2,100 members representing more than 250,000 housing units throughout Minnesota, MHA is the voice of the state's multi housing industry.


US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

HUD handles complaints about housing discrimination, problem landlords in federal housing, and many other issues.


Law Help MN.org