Police Records Requests

How to obtain a Police report or other Police data

To obtain a copy of a police report (including traffic accident reports) or other police data, please click the Request for Police Data link below. It will bring you to the JustFOIA data request page.  

Request for Police Data

Once there, click on "New Request," then under the Police Record Request click on "Make a Request." Complete the data request from as thoroughly as possible and click "Submit." After submitting your request, you will see a request number, keep that number for your records, you will need it to retrieve your record online once your request has been processed. 

  • The information that you are asked to provide on the request form will be used to process your request.  The information you provide is subject to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act and is classified as public.  You are not legally required to provide this information, but we may not be able to process your request without it. 
  • If requesting private data about you or your minor child(ren), you may also need to submit a copy of a valid state ID, driver’s license, military ID or passport.
  • We also have data request forms at our front counter for those that want to submit them in-person. They can be submitted during normal business hours (M-F 8 AM to 4:30 PM).
  • There is a charge for copies, and you may be required to pay for copies before the data is released.

The Inver Grove Heights Police Department has a reasonable amount of time to provide the information you are requesting. In most cases, we will respond to your request within 10-business days from date request was received.

How can a person get a background check done on themselves?

Inver Grove Heights Police can do a local record check (Inver Grove Heights Police records only) and provide you with a document containing the results of the search. To request a local record check on yourself, click on the Request for Police Data link above.

If a person needs a FULL criminal history background check, they will need to contact the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), 1430 Maryland Ave East, St. Paul, MN 55106. Phone: 651-793-2400.

How can a person obtain their own Minnesota Driving Record?

The State of Minnesota can provide a copy of a person's driving record. For information contact the main Division of Vehicle Services (DVS) in St. Paul. Phone: 651-296-6911