Animal Information

  1. Pets
  2. Wild Animals
  3. Hunting

sgt and puppy

Lost Dog or Cat? 

For information regarding a lost or missing animal call the IGH PD at 651-450-2525 during business hours. After hours call Dakota County Dispatch at 9-1-1. 

Animals are taken to the South Saint Paul Animal Hospital when an owner can't be found. SSP Animal Hospital can be reached by phone at 651-455-5897. 

Dog License & Rabies Vaccination Requirements

Effective May 1, 2019, the city no longer requires a dog to be licensed. However, we do require all dogs to be vaccinated for rabies. Anyone found to have a dog that isn’t vaccinated or has an expired vaccination will be subject to a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

Additional ordinances related to dogs

The City Council approved the following updates to ordinances related to dogs:

  • Dogs can be off leash on the owners’ property, in the owners’ vehicle, or in the off-leash areas of the Heritage Village Dog Park (requires a pass).
  • Dogs can be in any city park, trail or public sidewalk as long as they are on a leash that is sixteen feet (16’) long or less at all times
  • Dogs are not allowed on athletic fields (i.e. soccer fields/courts) and can’t be inside a fenced athletic field
  • Owners of dogs in a manufactured home park must keep their dog(s) on a  sixteen feet (16’) leash at all times when the animal is outside
  • Dogs in common areas of apartments, condominiums, cooperatives, and town homes shall be kept on a leash not greater than sixteen feet (16’) in length and under restraint at all times.
  • Any person having custody or control over any dog or cat on any property within the City, other than the property of the dog or cat's owner, must have in his or her immediate possession a device for picking up and disposing of dog or cat feces, and must pick up and dispose of any and all feces in a sanitary manner.

Animal Complaints

To file a complaint or ask a question regarding animal control, please contact the IGH PD at 651-450-2525 during regular business hours. After hours call Dakota County Dispatch at 911.

If you have been bitten by a dog, call 9-1-1 and ask an officer to be dispatched to you. The officer will see that you are provided with medical attention, take a report, and walk you through the next steps.

Other Animal Regulations 

duckling rescue

Animal control regulations are part of the Inver Grove Heights City Code, Title 5, Chapter 4. IGH PD responds to animal control complaints and issues. In general, the City does not respond to issues related to wild animals. Please contact the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources at 651-296-6157 for tips or help regarding problems with wildlife. 

Concerned about an animal being abused or neglected?

Please contact the Animal Humane Society at 612-772-9999. 

A report can also be filed online at: