Interesting Snow Removal Facts
- A fully loaded snowplow truck with sand and salt weighs between 30,000 and 56,000 pounds
- There are 305 road miles in IGH as of 2021
- The city has seven snow removal routes. It takes our plow crews eight hours to get through the city's entire plow route just once.
- Main thoroughfares that link state and/or county roads together have priority in snow removal / sanding to permit access by emergency vehicles and life support services.
- Crews clear City streets, cul-de-sacs, alleys and parking lots. And then City sidewalks and trails.
- The same table salt we use on food is used to melt snow and ice. Look below on how you can make a difference when you use salt and de-icer.
Winter Parking Restrictions
It is unlawful to park a vehicle on any street between the hours of 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. from November 1 through April 1. Click here to view the IGH City Code and FAQs for winter parking.
Adopt a Hydrant
IGH firefighters need a three-foot area clear of snow and ice shoveled around each of the City’s fire hydrants and a three-foot wide path leading to the hydrant to the street.
Residents are encouraged to “Adopt-A-Hydrant” or two in their neighborhoods and make sure they are accessible after each snowfall. If a resident is physically unable to shovel a hydrant on their property, they are encouraged to ask a neighbor to help.
Help us protect our water resources.
Excessive use of de-icer and salt on roadways, sidewalks and driveways can pollute our soil and water resources. Even small quantities can negatively impact drinking water, plants, fish and wildlife. Smart salt use during the winter can make a big difference!
Salt Smart Pledge - Here's How You Can Take Part:
- Shovel - Clear walkways before snow turns to ice. Apply salt only if needed.
- Scatter - Use salt only where critical. Aim for three (3) inches of space between salt granules.
- Switch - Salt doesn't melt ice in temperatures below 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Use sand for traction when it is too cold or a different de-icer.
- Sweep - Clean up leftover and excess salt, sand and de-icer to save and reuse, as needed.
Grab a FREE Salt Cup!
Use it as a guide on when to salt and how much to use.
You can also grab a salt cup at the following businesses in IGH:
- -Ace Hardware & Paint (3098 65th St E)
- -Casey's (9981 Difley Ct)
- -Cub (7850 Cahill Ave)
- -Tractor Supply Co. (9273 Cafferty Ct)
- -Walgreens (4560 S Robert Trl)
- -Walgreens (5825 Cahill Ave)
- -Walmart (9165 Cahill Ave)