Policies for Acceptable Use and Moderation of Third-Party Content on City social media profiles
This policy applies to any existing or proposed social media pages sponsored, established, registered, or authorized by the City of Inver Grove Heights.
The City’s social media accounts are exclusively the following:
- See above list
The City does not create, collect, disseminate, or regulate use of any other social media accounts, including the personal accounts of its elected officials and staff.
Our city's official pages are listed above. These pages exist to provide access to information about the city, its departments, its programs and activities and provide a platform for interaction with the city and its departments according to the guidelines outlined herewith. Posting on any of our official pages constitutes acceptance of these terms:
- “Friending” or “following” or “liking” of an individual citizen or of content posted by a citizen by a Department officer or staff member does not indicate an endorsement of that citizen’s actions or comments.
- Comments posted by others on this page are not to be considered the opinion of the City of Inver Grove Heights or a City Department; nor does the City or Department endorse any third-party commenters on this page.
- The City and Department reserve the right to remove and/or block anyone who posts inappropriate material as determined by the Administrator of the page, Police Chief or Fire Chief.*
- Do not use any of the City's or Department's pages to report a crime. To report a crime, please call 9-1-1.
Moderation of Third-Party Content
The City and its Department social media pages serve as a limited public forum and all content published is subject to monitoring. User-generated posts will be rejected or removed when the content:
- is off-subject or out of context*
- contains obscenity or material that appeals to the prurient interest
- contains personal identifying information or sensitive personal information
- contains offensive terms that target protected classes
- is threatening, harassing or discriminatory
- incites or promotes violence or illegal activities
- contains information that reasonably could compromise individual or public safety
- advertises or promotes a commercial product or service, or any entity or individual
- promotes or endorses political campaigns or candidate
- hyperlinks to material that falls into at least one of the foregoing categories
Endorsements of Third Parties on City Social Media Pages
No social media account representing or associated with the City will advertise or promote a commercial product or service, or any entity or individual. Given that, there are exceptions to this when a company or organization has a partnership with the City or is participating in a City-affiliated fundraiser or event.
*Subject to legal review